Here’s what you can do to help ERFA win this fight:
1. Come to our Town Hall meetings. These meetings are open to the public and offer a way to connect to neighbors who care about this issue. ERFA board members are present to give updates on our progress, answer questions and offer ways that you can get involved.
2. Send a message to the Department of Buildings’ Commissioner, Rick Chandler, to carefully review all applications for the proposed structure at 430 E. 58th Street and decline to issue any interim permits for foundation, excavation or other work until the agency has received and reviewed the full set of new building plans. Click here to send a message.
Select “application/permit process”
Copy and Paste this message:
I strongly urge the DOB to carefully review all applications for the proposed structure at 430 E. 58th Street (NB #121191423) and decline to issue any interim permits for foundation, excavation or other work until the agency has received and reviewed the full set of new building plans. The East River Fifties Alliance and four elected officials have submitted an application for a zoning text amendment to the Department of City Planning, now pending, that would affect this site. The DOB should not accede to the developer’s attempt to rush the approval process by seeking partial approvals that would allow them to obtain permits and circumvent a zoning change. Moreover, it is especially important that the DOB assure that proper and complete plans have been filed that include protection of the adjoining residential buildings, which are old and could easily be compromised by neighboring, invasive construction activity.
3. Support our zoning application by emailing a letter of support to New York City Planning Chairperson Marisa Lago.
4. Be part of the public process. Write to your elected officials to urge them to support the new zoning plan. Tell them to update the obsolete R10 zoning of the East River Fifties, which leaves our neighborhood vulnerable to these over-scaled developments. (Check out the FAQ for more information on the process required by the City to take our plan from acceptance to possible implementation.)
5. Join the East River 50s Alliance. Use the form in the right column to sign up for our mailing list for updates on news and events and add your name to the public list of supporters.
6. Support ERFA – donate to the cause. (The East River Fifties Alliance is a nonprofit, 501(c)(4) corporation that is recognized as tax-exempt by the IRS. Please note that donations are not tax deductible).
7. Spread the news. Tell your friends and neighbors about ERFA and its commitment to preserving quality of life in one of New York City’s beloved residential districts. You can use the social links at the bottom of the page to share information on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites.